Savings suspension

There may be times when you need to take a break from contributing.

As an employee you may apply to Inland Revenue for a savings suspension, which allows you to put your contributions on hold. When this happens your employer will stop deducting KiwiSaver contributions from your pay.

If you have been contributing for 12 months or more, you can apply.  A savings suspension is for a minimum of 92 days (unless your employer agrees otherwise), and a maximum of one year.

While you are on a savings suspension, your employer does not need to make contributions. You can make voluntary contributions at any time during the savings suspension period.

You can stop and start your savings suspension by notifying your employer. However, unless your employer agrees, you cannot take a savings suspension for less than three months.

You can apply for an early savings suspension within the first 12 months of becoming a KiwiSaver member if you are experiencing or likely to experience financial hardship. This will be for a three month period, unless Inland Revenue agrees to a longer period.


How to apply for a savings suspension

Visit the IRD website for more information and to apply online, or call Inland Revenue on 0800 549 472. 


Did you find this information helpful?