First job or under 18?

First job?

If you’re starting your first job then your employer will help you through the KiwiSaver enrolment process.

There will be some simple paperwork to complete. Alternatively, by joining the Summer KiwiSaver scheme, we can take care of all the required paperwork for you. You can apply online in just a few easy steps.

If you don’t choose a KiwiSaver scheme, you’ll be put into one of eight default KiwiSaver schemes, or into a scheme chosen by your employer if they have a preferred KiwiSaver scheme for their employees.

When you’re automatically enrolled through your employer, you’ll have eight weeks to decide if you want to remain in KiwiSaver, or opt out.


Are you under 18?

If you’re aged under 18 you are also eligible to join KiwiSaver. 

You can find the application form inside the product disclosure statement.

If you’re under 16, you can’t enrol yourself, you will need the consent of each of your parents or your legal guardian.

If you’re 16 or 17, then you can complete the application form and provide identification together with just one parent or guardian. 

If you’re aged under 18 you can’t opt into KiwiSaver through your employer, but if you have an after-school job, employee contributions will be deducted from your wages.  

Employer contributions and the Government contributions only apply from age 18.


If you have any questions about the Summer KiwiSaver scheme, or KiwiSaver in general, please feel free to contact the Summer team on 0800 11 55 66 or send us a message.